This #munchingmondays episode is me making (and eating!) Vegan Creamy Kimchi Udon! Head on over to the YouTube video and scroll down for the written recipe!
Some of you may already know what udon is, but for those who don’t, udon is a thick noodle that’s mostly used in Japanese dishes and made with flour and wheat. If you look up its history, udon was used as a substitute for when rice was scarce before, but today it’s simply a DELICIOUS type of noodle almost everyone around the world enjoys, hot or cold!
I love udon because it’s just so versatile that you can make it work with just about any type of sauce. It’s also super chewy and thick – perfect comfort food for me. This is exactly why I made this Creamy Kimchi Udon (100% vegan, of course!) and the result is just amazingly delicious, you guys! The sauce is so creamy, and blends in well with the spicy kimchi flavour!
I used my mom’s famous kimchi for this recipe – I had a bunch of super fermented kimchi sitting in the fridge. Kimchi just keeps fermenting and getting more sour over time in the fridge, so when you have some old, super sour kimchi, this is the perfect recipe to make. I’m not sure if kimchi actually goes bad but if it does, it probably takes a VERY long time. You can look up on google how to tell if your kimchi has gone bad….
If you want a vegan kimchi recipe that tastes delicious, is authentic and made by a Korean who’s made kimchi for 30+ years… check out my mom’s vegan kimchi recipe! It’s absolutely amazing!
Check out my #munchingmondays video here and find the written recipe down below!
Creamy Kimchi Udon Recipe
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 1 serving vegan udon noodles
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or vegetable oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- 3/4 cup chopped vegan kimchi with juices (preferably sour kimchi!)
- 1/3 block smoked tofu, chopped into small cubes
- 1 tsp gochugaru (Korean red chili pepper flakes) (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sugar or stevia
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dried nori (seaweed) flakes (OPTIONAL)
- Cook udon noodles according to instructions. Set aside.
- In a heated pan, melt the vegan butter and add in minced garlic.
- Once the butter begins to sizzle, add in flour and mix to make the roux.
- Add in non-dairy milk and whisk well until clumps are fully dissolved. Now you have your creamy sauce!
- Add kimchi to the cream sauce and mix well.
- Mix in the smoked tofu, gochugaru, and nutritional yeast.
- Add in the cooked udon noodles and sugar (or any sweetener of your choice) and mix well.
- Add in a splash more non-dairy milk if you would like it to be slightly more “creamy” and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well and let it simmer again.
- Top with green onions and nori flakes (optional) as a final touch.