This wild rice medley recipe is the perfect dish to make in bulk for meal prep or just to have for lunch or dinner. It’s a one-pot wild rice medley full of veggies and nutritious ingredients.
Did you know: Wild rice is higher in protein and lower in calories than brown rice and also has a load of other nutritional benefits such as being high in antioxidants, fiber, and various vitamins.
Recipe for Wild Rice Medley
You can add whatever vegetables you have in your kitchen. I had some vegetables that I needed to use up like fresh mushrooms, carrots, brussels sprouts, and even added a can of black beans to my rice mixture.
This is definitely one of those “add whatever veggies are in your fridge” recipes and you can switch up the spices to change the flavours to suit your taste.
Ingredients for Wild Rice Medley
- Dry wild rice
- Vegetables of choice
- Crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (no sodium added)
- Vegetable bouillon
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Vegetables In This Wild Rice Medley:
- Brussels sprouts
- Black beans
How To Make Wild Rice Medley
Start by adding chopped onion and garlic to a medium-high heat wok or pot with oil until onions begin to soften. Add whatever vegetables you’d like to add; this wild rice medley is a medley of whatever you would like to add. I added mushrooms, brussels sprouts, carrots, a pinch of salt and cooked for a couple of minutes mixing well
Next, add the wild rice, crushed tomatoes (or tomato sauce of your choice), water, vegetable bouillon cube crumbled, and mixed well. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to medium-low.
For spices: I added Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika (but you can choose other spices of your choosing) and mixed well.
Cover and cook for 45-55 minutes, stirring every once in a while until the wild rice is cooked. In the end, I stirred in a can of black beans but it’s up to you. When serving it, you can top it with cilantro/parsley and salt & pepper to taste.
Wild Rice Medley
- 1 Large Wok or Pot
- 1 cup wild rice dry
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 cups mushrooms diced
- 2 cups brussels sprouts washed and halved
- 2 medium carrots peeled and thinly chopped
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce no sodium added
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon crumbled
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley optional
- 1 avocado optional
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a large wok or pot, and add onion and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add Brussels sprouts, carrots and a pinch of salt and mix well. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add wild rice, crushed tomatoes, water and vegetable bouillon cube (crumble with fingers) and mix well.
- Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to medium low.
- Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika (and other spices of your choosing) and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 45-55 minutes, stirring every once in a while until the wild rice is cooked.
- At the end, stir in the black beans.
- Plate and top with cilantro or parsley and avocado slices. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!