Today, I shared FIVE easy and delicious ways to enjoy your inari sushi! Head over to the recipe video below and don’t forget to scroll down for the written recipe!
Unlike the regular sushi you see in Japanese cuisine, inari sushi are made by stuffing deep-fried tofu pockets (fried bean curd) with seasoned sushi rice. In Korean, we call it yubu chobap (유부초밥).
You can easily find packs of fried bean curd in your local Asian grocery store, just make sure to check the ingredients because I found that some brands may have animal products in them (so frustrating!). Luckily, this one, which I bought from H Mart from my previous grocery haul video, was vegan-friendly.
You may have seen these inari sushi in a previous mukbang video, and I received a lot of comments requesting for recipes. Therefore, I made these FIVE easy and delicious ways to enjoy Vegan Inari Sushi, all of which I highly recommend that you try!
Ready to make some delicious inari sushi? Let’s head over to the recipes!
Vegan Inari Sushi (5 Ways!)
What you’ll need:
- 2 cup cooked short grain rice or sushi rice (I used short grain brown rice)
- 2 tbsp of rice vinegar (use 1 tbsp for every cup of rice)
- A sprinkle of salt
- Fried bean curd (inari)
Now for the topping ideas…
I didn’t include any measurements for these because I eyeballed everything and this would depend on how many of each topping you are making – please refer to my YouTube video to get a visual!
For topping #1:
- Canned corn
- Vegan mayo
- Garlic salt
For topping #2:
- Seaweed salad
- Chopped green onion (optional)
For topping #3:
- A slice of avocado
- White kidney beans or chickpeas
- Garlic powder
- Dijon mustard
- Sweet relish
For topping #4:
- White mushrooms
- Garlic powder
- Teriyaki sauce
- Vegan Mayo
For topping #5:
- Silken (or extra soft) tofu
- Garlic powder and salt (or garlic salt)
- Nutritional yeast
- Black pepper
- Chopped green onion
Step 1: Prepare the rice
- In a small bowl, throw in the rice and season with rice vinegar and salt. (NOTE: You can also add sugar if you like, but I skipped this step because the bean curd was already sweetened)
- Mix well.
Step 2: Stuff the bean curds with rice
- Open up the bean curds and stuff it with the seasoned sushi rice. Make sure to leave room for the toppings! Set aside.
Step 3: Prepare the toppings!
Topping#1: Corn Salad
- Add all ingredients into a small mixing bowl.
- Mix well and top onto your inari sushi! Enjoy!
Topping #2: Seaweed Salad with Green Onion
- Top inari with a little bit of seaweed salad.
- Top with chopped green onions for extra flavour. Enjoy!
Topping #3: Bean & Avocado Mash
- Place all ingredients into a small bowl.
- Mash until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Top the mixture onto the Inari sushi.
- Top with green onions and salt (optional). Enjoy!
Topping #4: Teriyaki Mushrooms
- Chop white mushrooms.
- Cook on a heated pan with a little splash of water. Let it sweat for a bit.
- Add in garlic powder and teriyaki sauce. Toss around until the mushrooms are well-cooked.
- Top onto inari sushi and drizzle with vegan mayo (optional). Enjoy!
Topping #5: Vegan Egg Salad
- Chop tofu into small pieces.
- Place chopped tofu onto a small bowl and season with garlic powder, a pinch of salt, turmeric, nutritional yeast, and vegan mayo. Mix well.
- Add a little bit of black pepper and some chopped green onions.
- Top onto inari sushi. Enjoy!