Watch the video above to “Cook With Me” and see how I made this delicious vegan butter garlic parmesan pasta recipe! Scroll down to see the written recipe.
When I was a teenager, way before I was vegan, I remember going to my friend’s house and having plain spaghetti with a ton of parmesan cheese. I remember thinking it was pretty weird at the time but I also remember really enjoying it. I guess I wasn’t used to having pasta without sauce, but after that, I’ve definitely made spaghetti with parmesan numerous times. It’s funny because I’ve never been a huge parmesan cheese person. But for some reason, I really enjoyed this combination.
So recently when I made a vegan cashew parmesan cheese for the first time, I couldn’t stop thinking about this combination…. spaghetti with parmesan cheese. I don’t know why it took me SO LONG as a vegan to make a cashew parmesan cheese. But I’m glad I finally did it because this VEGAN spaghetti with parmesan is TO DIE FOR.
The combination of the vegan butter (or oil if you prefer), browned garlic, the nutty parmesan “cheese” and a bit of crushed chili flakes… I’ll never look at spaghetti the same way again.
As per usual, I made this recipe on camera, when I had no idea what it would taste like. This is usually how I make my recipes and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. This time, I was genuinely AMAZED at how delicious this turned out and how SIMPLE it was.
Making the vegan parmesan cheese is probably the most difficult part of this whole process and it’s literally just blending a few things in the food processor. And you can just do it once and have enough vegan parmesan for weeks afterwards! The second most difficult part is mincing the garlic… yup, I told you this is a simple and easy recipe.
So here it is guys, the recipe… I can safely say this will now be one of my GO TO recipes. I will be making this again and again… This is something you could quickly whip up for a lazy and easy vegan dinner but ALSO something you could make for a vegan dinner party. It looks fancy enough and seriously will taste delicious.
Vegan Butter Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Recipe
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
- 85g dry spaghetti or other pasta of choice (1 serving)
- 1-2 tbsp vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan nutty parmesan (see below for recipe)
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to instructions.
- In a pan or wok on medium heat, add vegan butter, garlic and red pepper flakes. Whisk until the foam from the butter subsides and garlic begins to brown. Remove from heat.
- Stir in spaghetti and vegan parmesan. Toss until well combined.
- Top with fresh parsley and salt & pepper if desired (I didn’t need to add any salt or pepper because the parmesan already had a lot of flavour).
- Serve immediately.
Vegan Nutty Parmesan Recipe
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup other nuts – I used macadamia nuts & almonds (you can skip the other nuts & just use 3/4 cup cashews instead, for a simple cashew parmesan)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Add all ingredients into a food processor and process until crumbly.
- Store in a sealed jar in the fridge.