Even though we are lazy, we sometimes like to get a little (not a lot) fancy. Sometimes, we might have a little more time in our hands and after we sleep in on the weekend, maybe we want to make something a little more special. After all, the standard banana, spinach and berry smoothie might get a little boring.
So I decided to make some more interesting and slightly different breakfast and brunch recipes. One of them involves sushi.. yup – sushi for breakfast! I LOVE having a nice, special breakfast especially on the weekend when you have extra time. You can, of course, invite some friends over and host your own brunch and save yourself the extra $20 for the tofu scramble restaurant that you could’ve made better.
Here is the recipe video:
Vegan Breakfast + Brunch Ideas for the Weekend
Vegan Chickpea Omelette
Ingredients (for 2 omelettes)
- For the omelette batter (derived from: Forks and Beans)
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp each of: turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp of oil to cook the omelette
- Optional vegetables (up to you but here are some ideas…)
- bell pepper
- green onion
- In a small/medium mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients for the batter and mix well. Then add liquid ingredients and whisk until well-combined.
- On a frying pan, cook up the optional vegetables. Set aside.
- Now heat up a different frying pan (or use the same one – just take the veggies off). On medium-high heat, heat up the oil.
- Pour half the batter into the frying pan and spread it out as best as you can.
- On half the omelette, place the vegetables.
- Cook for a few minutes and when you can, fold over the other side and cook for another few minutes.
- Serve with whatever you desire – I had mine with salsa and it was the bomb!
Breakfast Sushi Sandwich Recipe
Ingredients (for around 3 sandwiches):
- The sushi rice:
- 1 cup uncooked sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Scrambled tofu
- 1/2 block tofu (medium firm or firm tofu)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Other optional fillings: cilantro, green onion
- 3 nori sheets
- Spicy Cashew Mayo
How I make sushi rice & the sushi sandwiches:
- Prepare sushi rice (watch video above if you want to know how I prep mine – spoiler: I’m no sushi chef)
- Prepare the cashew mayo. The recipe is here.
- On a frying pan on medium-high heat, crumble up the tofu and add all seasonings. Cook well for a few minutes until most of the moisture is gone.
- Now you can follow the instructions on my video to make the sushi sandwiches. Trust me, I can’t explain this well so you’re better off watching the video. A video is worth a million words. Or something like that.
- ENJOY !!!
Protein Mug Cake
- Optional: 1/2 tsp coconut oil or any oil for greasing
- 1 scoop sweetened vegan protein powder (I used vanilla, but feel free to use chocolate)
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coffee (or use non-dairy milk but coffee is so good…)
- Optional but recommended: a few dairy-free chocolate chips
- If you plan on taking out the mug cake, then grease the inside of the mug with a little oil.
- Add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add all wet ingredients and mix with the dry ingredients until well-combined.
- If desired, top with a few chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high for around 3 minutes (each microwave is a bit different, so you might want to check up on it after 2 minutes or so, but mine took 3 minutes).
Coffee Protein Smoothie
(k, I know that’s a terrible photo but I’m a terrible blogger and I forgot to take a photo so I had to take a screenshot…plus it didn’t look that great anyway in the video….. okay thanks bye)
- 1.5 ripe bananas (preferably frozen)
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 cup coffee (cooled down)
- 1/2 cup (or more) non-dairy milk
- A few ice cubes if necessary
- uhmm….I hope you know how to make a smoothie! Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Woohoo 🙂