Here’s a sweet Korean treat for you — my 3-Ingredient Sweet Korean Rice Cakes! Check out my short and sweet Instagram reels video on this and scroll down for the written recipe!
Rice cakes (or tteok, 떡), are small “cakes” made using steamed flour made from different grains, including glutinous or non-glutinous rice. These are pounded and shaped into either cylindrical or circular shapes.
Last year for Korean New Year, I created a veganized version of what is called a Korean rice cake soup (or tteokguk, 떡국). This year, I decided to introduce a different and exciting way to enjoy rice cakes — by pan-frying into crispiness and flavouring it with a sweetener!
These 3-Ingredient Korean Rice Cakes are crispy on the outside & chewy on the inside, sweet, and oh-so-delicious! You might even keep them in your recipes book so you can have them any time of the year (not just on Korean New Year!).
Ready to make these? Check out the easy recipe below!
3-Ingredient Korean Rice Cakes
- 150g Korean rice cakes (tteok)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1-2 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- If rice cakes are frozen, place in a large bowl with some warm water for around 20-30 minutes. If fresh, skip this step.
- Heat vegan butter on medium high heat in a non-stick pan. Place rice cakes on top (try to keep them separate).
- Plate and drizzle with agave nectar. Enjoy warm!