I’ve been getting more and more into simplifying recipes and decreasing that ingredients list! This might be my new thing! …actually, I’ve always been a fan of short ingredients lists. Every time I look at a recipe and if the ingredients list looks too long, I look for something simpler.. Does anyone else do the same?
Anyway, I discovered this 2-ingredient sweet potato gnocchi recipe the other day and I just had to give it a try. I loved the way it turned out – it was soft and tender and a great gnocchi texture. If you haven’t heard of gnocchi, it’s a type of pasta or dumplings known for its soft texture and usually made with potatoes (among other things).
I decided to change up the recipe and switch up one of the ingredients from flour to OAT flour. I do this quite often with various recipes because oat flour is healthier than regular white flour.
2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Gnocchi Recipe
For the original recipe, click here
Gnocchi ingredients (2 servings) –
- 2 large sweet potatoes (1 cup mashed)
- 1/2 cup oat flour or all purpose flour
Video (Written instructions below)
- Poke a few holes throughout the sweet potatoes with a fork. Place on a plate and microwave for 5-10 minutes until soft and tender.
- When the sweet potatoes have cooled enough to work with, slice each potato in half with a knife. On a big clean surface, scoop out all the contents of the potatoes and toss out the remaining skin. Mash the insides with a fork or a potato masher.
- Measure the sweet potatoes – it should add up to 1 cup. You can snack on the rest if you have any extra!
- Spread out the sweet potato in a thin layer onto your surface and evenly distribute the oat flour over the potato layer.
- Starting from one end, use your fingers to incorporate the potato and the flour together into a dough ball. Divide the dough ball into 4 pieces.
- Take each piece and roll into a thin, long log (about 1/2 inch wide). Cut the log into 1 inch pieces. Use a fork to press grooves into each gnocchi (to make it pretty, duh!).
- Boil water in a pot and add the gnocchi into the boiling water. Cook until the gnocchi pieces float to the surface of the water – it should only take a few minutes.
- Drain and add into pasta sauce. Enjoy!
Optional pasta sauce recipe
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut in half or chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp Italian herbs (optional)
- 2-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water (more or less depending on you)
- handful of spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a non-stick pan on medium-high heat, cook up the garlic for a few minutes (I used water, but feel free to use a little oil if preferred).
- Add tomatoes and crush them with your spatula.
- Add crushed red pepper, Italian herb seasoning and water and cook for a few minutes. Add in nutritional yeast and spinach.
- Salt & pepper to taste and add in the gnocchi when finished.