Can you tell I had a hard time coming up with a proper name for this? I can’t call it easy hotteok recipe, because it’s not really hotteok; simply inspired by hotteok. If you have no idea what hotteok is (and I don’t blame you if you don’t know what it is haha), it is a popular Korean street food especially in the winter time because it’s warm and comforting. It’s basically a sweet pancake with a brown sugar filling and it is cooked with a lot of oil to make it extra delicious. It’s super addictive and yummy but also probably quite a bit of work to make and also quite fattening. It was definitely one of my favourite treats as a kid!
So today we’re gonna make the much easier and healthier version which you can make right now at home with minimal ingredients! We’re going to be lazy and not make any dough – we’re just using a soft wheat tortilla wrap for this.
If you are familiar with my Peanut Butter and Banana Quesadilla recipe – it’s pretty much a very similar idea. We’re making a sweet quesadilla!
Included in my Easy Korean-Inspired Vegan Recipes video:
“Sweet Korean Pancake Quesadilla Thing” Recipe
Ingredients (one serving)
- 1/2 – 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp or sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar (more or less depending on preference)
- 1-2 tbsp crushed nuts of your choice (I used pecan but I think walnuts are the traditional. Feel free to use whatever you prefer.)
- 1 soft tortilla wrap (I used wheat but feel free to use a gluten-free one. Try to find one that’s soft and somewhat “dough-y” cause it’ll taste better that way!)
- In a small bowl, mash one or half a banana (depending on how big your tortilla wrap is – mine was huge so I used one banana).
- Add cinnamon and brown sugar and mix well.
- Spread the mixture onto one half of the tortilla wrap.
- Spread the nuts over the banana mixture.
- Fold the tortilla in half, creating the half circle shape thingie – I’m terrible at recipe instructions, I know.
- Cut in half or thirds and use a frying pan, grill or panini press until slightly browned and nicely toasted on each side.