Today’s recipe features a delicious twist to the traditional tteokbokki (떡볶이 — spicy Korean rice cakes)! Watch the video below and don’t forget to scroll down to get the recipe for these delicious vegan Spicy Rosé Korean Rice Cakes~!
Tteokbokki (떡볶이) is a traditional Korean recipe that’s flavourful, spicy, and has delicious, chewy, and doughy rice cakes. If you love eating Korean food, then I’m pretty sure you might’ve come across this dish, as it is very popular in Korea.
I’ve made several veganized versions of this dish (like the one in this video) but today, I decided to make it extra special by giving it a nice twist! This time, I made a vegan version of Rosé Tteokbokki! This seems to be trending right now and I wanted us vegans to enjoy this as well – and don’t worry, it’s super easy to make.
You might’ve seen me make a creamy rosé pasta before and the idea is similar — making the tteokbokki extra creamy (I used my cashew alfredo sauce for this!). This is also great if you are someone that enjoys spicy food but might not have the highest spice tolerance. I find that adding some of that “creaminess” helps lessen the spice level a little bit.
So without further ado, let’s get right to creating this delicious vegan Rosé Tteokbokki! Don’t forget to watch the video too to cook with me, and scroll down for the written recipe & ingredients~
Vegan Spicy Rosé Korean Rice Cakes
- 500g Korean rice cakes (tteok) – cylinder shaped (if frozen, defrost by soaking in cold water to separate)
- ½ of my Cashew Alfredo Sauce (see my 4-ingredient recipe HERE)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (check out my minced garlic hack HERE)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained (or another vegan protein of your choice- I like to add sliced vegan hot dogs!)
- 3 tbsp gochujang (Korean chili pepper paste)
- Handful of chopped green onions
- Optional topping: roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Korean chili pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- 1 tbsp mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
- 1 pack vegan ramen noodles (exclude the seasoning)
- Heat up a pan with oil. Cook onions and garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the rice cakes and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the green peas, chickpeas, and gochujang. Mix until gochujang is melted into the water (Optional: Add 1 tbsp of gochugaru if you want an extra kick and more flavour.)
- Pour in the cashew alfredo sauce, mirin (optional) and mix it well. Bring this to a boil and cook for around 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and rice cakes are cooked. They should be nice and chewy when done.
- Add ramen noodles (without seasoning packet), if desired. Combine until the noodles are cooked. If the sauce gets too thick, feel free to add in a splash of water.
- Add in the chopped green onions and mix.
- Plate and top with roasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!