Featured in my “Vegan Comfort Recipes” video!
Watch the video above or see below for the written recipe and ingredients!
When I was young, I used to add soy sauce and sesame oil to random bowls of rice and just eat it just like that… maybe with a few other add-ins… Heck, I still do that sometimes when I’m feeling lazy but want to add a nice flavour to my rice! You’d be surprised how much flavour just soy sauce and toasted sesame oil can bring to your food. I sometimes think that’s all you need to make so many different kinds of dishes.
A little sesame oil will take you a very long way so make sure you don’t use too much when you use it to flavour your food. It can add such delicious savoury flavours to your food, it’s seriously a MUST HAVE in your kitchen. Especially if you like Asian dishes.
This is such an easy to make a nice flavourful rice without doing too much, which is why I called it “non-fried rice” instead of fried rice. You don’t actually have to fry it but it’s a similar concept cause I’m adding similar seasonings like soy sauce & sesame oil.
Hope you enjoy!
Non-fried Savoury Mushroom Rice Recipe (Vegan & Gluten-free Option)
Ingredients (4-5 servings)
- 1 ounce dry mushrooms
- 2.5 cups boiling hot water
- 2 cups dry sushi rice (or other type of rice)
- Desired amount of soy sauce (or GF equivalent) & toasted sesame oil (see instructions or video)
- Optional garnishes: seaweed, toasted sesame seeds, chopped green onions, etc…
- Soak mushrooms in hot water for at least one hour, covered.
- Wash and drain sushi rice.
- Take out the soaked mushrooms and save the mushroom infused water.
- Cut up the soaked mushrooms into smaller pieces and add into the rice along with the mushroom water.
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove.
- If cooking on the stove, bring it to a boil then cover, turn the heat down to a low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- When rice is cooked, add your desired amount of soy sauce and sesame oil either into the entire pot or in your individual dish. Add a little at a time to see what you prefer.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds or other garnishes and enjoy! You can have this with anything….