Vegan meal in a rice cooker! Watch the “Cook With Me” video above to see the recipe in action. See below for the written recipe and ingredients!
The rice cooker is definitely one of my favourite kitchen gadgets! It’s a MUST HAVE in every kitchen, in my humble opinion. If you love rice and you don’t have a rice cooker, I suggest getting one immediately. You can get a very affordable one and it will probably be one of the best investments you’ll ever make.
I can’t really remember many times in my life when I didn’t have a rice cooker. I even brought a rice cooker to ITALY when I was studying abroad there for 6 months. Needless to say, I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT ONE.
All of that being said, I really don’t take full advantage of having a rice cooker. I mainly use it for just regular plain rice (which is totally fine) but I realize that you can really cook a FULL MEAL using just a rice cooker. Just stuff it in with a bunch of ingredients, let it do it’s magic… and voila! You’ve got yourself a finished meal.
I decided to try and make some Mexican style rice using a rice cooker by doing just that. I hadn’t tried this recipe yet and I thought I would try making this for the first time on camera, as part of my “Cook With Me” series.
See the recipe below!
Mexican Style Rice in a Rice Cooker (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- 2 cups uncooked rice, washed and drained
- 2.5 cups water
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (1/2 28-oz can)
- 2 tsp vegetable broth powder
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup cooked/canned black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 vegan sausage, cut into small pieces (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional – as much as you want, really!)
- Salt to taste
- Add all ingredients into a rice cooker (I added some cilantro to cook with the rice in the rice cooker, then added more fresh cilantro when it was finished).
- Stir well so all the ingredients are well-combined and cook according to rice cooker instructions (I used the “white rice” setting).
- Once finished, mix well and add salt and pepper if desired. Top with fresh cilantro and/or avocado slices and enjoy!