This recipe was featured in the video above, “Low Calorie, High Protein Vegan Recipes”. Watch the video and scroll down below for the written recipe.
Lentils are a wonderful source of vegan protein and I think they should be included in everyone’s diet. They are super healthy, relatively cheap in most places of the world and are easy to cook. They can also be used in a variety of different ways and in different types of cuisine.
Lentil bolognese is definitely not something that I made up or came up with but has been around in the plant-based world for a while. It’s obviously a vegan take on the popular Italian “bolognese” sauce which is a meat-based dish. Lentils have a slightly “meaty” bite to it and can make a great substitute for ground beef.
You can eat this with regular pasta or have it with some zucchini noodles for a lower-carb and lower calorie dish. Totally optional! Thanks to the protein in the lentils, it really does help bulk up the recipe and make it more filling.
Don’t forget to watch the video above for my low calorie high protein vegan recipes and see below for the simple, easy but delicious lentil bolognese recipe.
Easy Vegan Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- 1/2 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup baby carrots (or regular)
- 1 tsp oil (optional)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup dry red split lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- Use a food processor to chop the onion and garlic into fine pieces. If you don’t have a food processor, you can just dice onions and mince garlic by hand.
- Set aside the onion and garlic mixture then in the same food processor (no need to rinse), add the carrots to chop them into shreds (or use shredded carrots).
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat (or use water to cook) and add the onion and garlic mixture. Cook until onions begin to soften.
- Add carrots and cook for about 3 minutes then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil then turn the heat down to a low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are completely cooked.
- Serve with zucchini noodles or any pasta of your choice.