Today’s newest video features vegan meal prep ideas that will help you get back on track to health and fitness. Easy, affordable, and best of all — healthy! Check out the video below and don’t forget to scroll down for the written recipes!
It’s been a while since I last made a meal prep video, so here it is!
So I recently moved to a new place, and with all the organizing and the moving and the settling in, I’ll have to admit that I haven’t been eating super healthy. I’ve been doing lots of takeout and instant meals and not enough vegetables. So I thought of prepping some healthy food (packed with veggies!) to get back on track to eating well and saving money.
Bear with me as I am still adjusting to a new filming location, but hopefully, the sound of these recipes is enough to keep your attention. Say hello to these new easy & affordable vegan recipes:
Barley & Vegetable stew
I was actually planning on making this as a soup, but it turned into a stew. Still yummy though! I had some leftover barley and I thought I’d add it into a nutritious soup – healthy and filling!
Sweet & Sour Chickpeas
We all know that sweet & sour dishes prepared at restaurants aren’t the healthiest – but let’s face it, they are so yummy. This Sweet & Sour Chickpea dish is not only healthier, but is high in protein and definitely yummy!
Fruit & Veggie Smoothie
This was the easiest of the three! Just portion the ingredients into Ziploc bags (or food containers), store them in the freezer and pick one for when you’re in the mood for a smoothie! Simply add some liquid (non-dairy milk, juice, water) and some protein powder and other fixings and your smoothie will be ready in no time~
Do the above recipes sound delicious to you? Don’t forget to watch the video above and scroll down for the ingredients!
Barley & Vegetable Stew
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, diced
- Around 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup dry soy curls (use the crumbles at the end of my bag!) or other plant-based protein of choice
- 2 tsp Better-than-Bouillon seasoning
- 1 large can (28oz or 796ml) of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 liter of water
- 3/4 cup dry pearl barley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Dice the onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onions and mushrooms (add a splash of water as needed). Set aside once cooked.
- In the same pan, add a little bit of oil and sauté soy curls.
- Add better-than-bouillon seasoning and diced tomatoes. Mix well and set aside to allow the flavours to soak in.
- Sauté the rest of the veggies, then add in the soy curls, onions, and mushrooms.
- Season with oregano, dried parsley, basil, and garlic powder. Mix.
- Add the remaining diced tomatoes along with 1 litre of water.
- Throw in the barley. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for around 30 minutes or until the barley is cooked.
- Feel free to add more water or vegetable broth (more seasonings if needed) if you want more of a thinner soup.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide into separate containers to eat for later. If eating, feel free to top with parsley or vegan parmesan.
Sweet & Sour Chickpeas
- 2 cups Broccoli
- 2 cups Cauliflower
- 1 Bell peppers
- 1 cup canned pineapple
- 1 cup juice from canned pineapple
- 2 tbsp brown or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ½ cup water
- Starch slurry (1 tbsp cornstarch + 1-2 tbsp of water)
- Chop veggies into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat pan (with oil if using) and cook the onions for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the pineapple juice, pineapples, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Mix.
- Add in the chopped broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, and chickpeas. Mix, add water, and let it come to a boil.
- When vegetables are mostly cooked, add in the starch slurry, mix, and let it simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with rice and top with sesame seeds and green onions (optional). Enjoy!
Fruit & Veggie Smoothie
Ingredients (per bag):
- 80g frozen strawberries
- 80g frozen pineapple
- 1/2 ripe banana
- A handful of spinach
- To meal prep, add all ingredients in a zip lock or reusable bag/container (make as many as you’d like).
- To prepare, add ingredients into a blender along with some water or non-dairy milk, protein powder and others as desired, and blend until smooth.