For today’s recipe video, the main ingredient shall be the magical ingredient called tahini! Head over to the video below to see what these recipes are and don’t forget to scroll down for the written recipes!
Today’s recipe video features two recipes that are made using TAHINI. I made two dishes — one is a main dish (savoury) and the second one is an easy dessert (sweet, obviously). If you guys have tahini, then I highly recommend you trying these recipes out! If you don’t have tahini, I suggest getting yourself a jar if you can. It’s definitely a frequently used ingredient in my household!
Back in February, I got the chance to visit Israel to join a vegan food tour hosted by Vibe Israel. One of the places we visited was a tahini factory called Al Arz Tahini where we got the chance to taste freshly made tahini and see the process of the magic, I mean, tahini making.
For those who don’t know what tahini is, it’s a paste made by grinding sesame seeds and is a staple in lots of cuisines, especially in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean. It’s also one of the main ingredients in hummus, that yummy lovely dip that goes well with pita bread, veggies, and anything…! As you will see, tahini can be used in so many different things. It has a slightly nutty flavour, it’s super savoury and it is creamy, kind of like a natural nut butter.
Excited to try out these recipes? Check out the video above and scroll down below for the ingredients!
Creamy Mushroom & Tahini Pasta
- 1 serving pasta
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (I used Cremini mushrooms)
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp Thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (or water)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp agave or other sweetener
- Heat up a large wok and add oil. Add in the diced onions and let it cook for a couple of minutes until translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms and let it cook on medium-high heat.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, combine all the sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add minced garlic into the pan and cook for a couple of minutes until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add in the sauce. Mix well.
- Once the sauce heats up, add in thyme and water. Mix it well before turning the heat down to low.
- Add in some chickpeas and cover the pan to allow the sauce to cook for several minutes. At this point, start cooking the pasta according to instructions.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add into the pan and mix it well with the sauce. Allow to cook for a few more minutes before serving.
Tahini Chocolate Mug Brownie
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (more if desired)
- In a microwave-safe mug, add in the tahini, non-dairy milk, and sugar. Mix until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly (make sure to get the bottom!) to create the batter.
- Add in the vegan chocolate chips and mix it into the batter. Sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top before popping it into the microwave for 1 minute.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes before digging in, as it might be slightly undercooked when you first take it out. Enjoy!