More often than not, I cook random concoctions out of what I already have in the fridge… isn’t that how we all do it? As much as we’d like to make fancy Pinterest type meals every single day, most of us don’t have that much time or energy to devote into following recipes all the time. I, for one, am too lazy and I don’t really like to think much because too much thinking leads me to be hungry for longer… and I don’t like being hungry.
So yes, I finally decided on a name for this series… I’m going to just call it “Fridge Raid Recipes”. I just figure it’s easy and it’s straight forward. Lots of people suggested some great names. These videos are going to be recipes where I just cook from what I have already in my kitchen. Mainly recipes from the leftover ingredients that I need to use up.
For this episode, I’m showing you guys a simple and easy coconut red curry…ramen! You probably weren’t expecting ramen but I was too lazy/hungry/impatient to wait for the rice to cook. So I decided that I might as well use up the last bit of ramen noodles I had left over because those only take a few minutes to cook.
Of course, you can just make the curry and eat it with rice or whatever carb of choice. I think it actually would taste even better with rice because rice and curry are always a magical combination!
Coconut Red Curry Ramen (Fridge Raid Recipe)
Ingredients for around 2 servings (No measurements… just approximations…)
- 1/2 can of coconut milk (you can use light or regular. I used regular)
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2-1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- About 1 cup of vegetables of choice (I used frozen brussel sprouts)
- 1-2 tbsp red curry paste (make sure you check the ingredients for any fish! The brand I used is vegan – see video)
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup red split lentils (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop up zucchini and onions into small pieces
- Heat up coconut oil on a large frying pan on medium-high heat. You can use water if you want to keep it oil free.
- Cook up the onions for a couple of minutes until slightly softened.
- Add red curry paste and zucchini and mix the red curry paste around to heat it up.
- Add coconut oil and maybe about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water if you want the consistency to be a bit thinner.
- This part is optional – throw in the red split lentils. and mix until everything is well-combined.
- Turn the heat high and let it come to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, bring it down to a simmer and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the lentils have cooked. You may need to add a little water as you go because the lentils will absorb.
- If you decide not to add lentils, it will save a lot more time. But lentils are life.
- Add some salt. cause salt is also life.
- Mix with ramen or serve with rice.