When I first started delving into a plant-based lifestyle, I started getting into something that I was never into before… BAKING! I was never into baking but since I was no longer eating dairy or eggs, I wanted to make some vegan treats that I could enjoy.
I made some unhealthy vegan treats but I also discovered a new thing that I’d never heard of before: chickpea chocolate chip cookies!
Since I LOVE chocolate chip cookies, I was super intrigued that I could take a super healthy ingredient, such as chickpeas, and turn it into what is traditionally a not-so-healthy treat. Even though I’m not too much of a sweet tooth, I absolutely LOVE chocolate chip cookies – especially the super soft ooey gooey kind.
I’m pleased to announce that these chickpea chocolate chip cookies are exactly that! Without any flour, this texture is super soft and gooey, and it’s so much healthier than any traditional chocolate chip cookie. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe.
Watch the video above or scroll down for the written recipe.
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan & Gluten-Free) Recipe
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all natural almond butter or peanut butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegan-friendly chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips into a food processor and blend until well-combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- With clean, damp hands, shape into small round balls onto a baking sheet. The mixture will be sticky, so keep wetting your hands with water between each ball.
- Wet a fork and flatten each ball into a cookie shape.
- Bake for about 14-15 minutes.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes before eating.
- These will keep in the fridge for about 4 days in a tightly sealed container.