These air fried rice cakes (에어프라이떡), also known as air-fried tteok, is a delicious 10 mins Korean snack made with crispy & chewy Korean rice cakes dipped in sauces!
These air fryer rice cakes take about 12 mins to air fry & the Korean rice cakes (tteok) come out crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside!
Recipe for Air Fried Rice Cake
To air fried rice cakes (aka (에어프라이떡), all you need is one of Korea’s most beloved ingredients – Tteok!
Tteok is the Korean word for rice cakes. And no, they’re not the low-calorie dry rice cakes you might be familiar with as a snack.
Korean rice cakes, Tteok, are made with rice flour and transformed into soft, slightly sticky and incredibly chewy pieces of “rice dough” as I like to call it.They can come in many shapes but the most common shape we use is the cylinder-shaped rice cakes, which you can find in any Korean supermarket near you.
All you have to do is put your rice cakes in air fryer for 10 mins and dip them in any sauce of your choice!
- Korean rice cakes (tteok)
- Brown rice syrup, maple syrup, agave syrup, soy sauce, etc.
You can make the recipe gluten-free by looking out for gluten-free Tteok and using a gluten-free sauce.
The recipe is vegan, vegetarian, nut-free and even soy-free, simply by using a soy-free alternative to soy sauce.
How To Make Air Fried Rice Cakes
If your TTeok (korean rice cakes) are frozen and stuck together, add them into a large bowl with cold water to separate them for about 5-10 minutes before using them. If not, move to the next step.
In a large bowl, add the rice cakes (tteok) and oil and mix to coat.
Place rice cakes in an air fryer, pieces not touching each other, and air fry at 370 degrees for 8 minutes.
Toss or flip and air fry at 400 degrees for another 3-4 minutes to crisp up the outside more.
Take out of the air fryer and serve with your sauce of choice as a dip!
Air Fried Rice Cakes (에어프라이떡)
- Air Fryer
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 400 g Tteok (Korean rice cakes) ideally cylinder shaped tteok
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup, maple syrup, agave nectar or soy sauce for dipping
- If you don't have frozen tteok (Korean rice cakes, skip to next step. If your Tteok are frozen and stuck together, add them into a large bowl with cold water to separate them for about 5-10 minutes before using them. Drain.
- In a large bowl, add the rice cakes and oil and mix to coat.
- Place in an air fryer, pieces not touching each other, and air fry at 370 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Toss or flip and air fry at 400 degrees for another 3-4 minutes to crisp up the outside more.
- Take out of the air fryer and serve with your sauce of choice as a dip!
NEED MORE VEGAN RECIPE INSPO? CHECK THESE OUT:
If you enjoy Korean recipes, try these Korean seaweed rice rolls called Kimbap!